“If you start with a bang, you won’t end with a whimper.”
T. S. Eliot
Never underestimate the importance of your first sentence and first paragraph. It is essential your first sentence provides clarity and purpose. Try to make a bold, clear statement that captures the imagination of the reader. The first sentence and paragraph will set the tone for the whole article; it can also determine whether the reader actually continues with the rest of the blog post.
What to Include In First Sentence and Paragraph:
- Make a clear introduction to the article
- Use short sentences, to give added clarity
- Consider using a quote by a famous writer / authority
Things to Avoid in first Paragraph
- Use unnecessary phrases such as:
- “In this article, I will look at whether an interesting topic to consider….”
- “seeing as how”
- “I haven’t had much inspiration to write recently… (this is real killer for me)”
- Sit on the fence.
- “It might be the case that getting links to your blog could help your SEO in the long term”.
- Make an obvious typo
- “There time has come to go over their”
(it should be THEIR time has come to go over THERE)