- To register a domain means simply to buy a particular domain name. For example, you might buy the domain – netwriting.co.uk/
- Many companies offer a service to register domains such as 123-Reg.co.uk
- Many people buy domain names and don’t use them straight away.
(If you buy a domestic tld (e.g. a .co.uk or .com.au) the domain will be subject to the laws of that country. For example, any .co.uk is monitored by Nominet. Sometimes restrictions are placed on national domains)
Hosting A Website
- With a domain name, you can host a website at that web address.
- Hosting means you put web pages on a web server (for example Dreamhost, Wiredtree).
- You need to point the domain name at the Hosting company. (set nameservers) and then you can put your webpages through your hosting company.
- Then when people visit netwriting.co.uk/ they will see the webpages you created.
Creating Web Pages
There are different ways to create webpages. This blog is created using wordpress. WordPress is a software which makes it easier to create content.
Some hosting companies offer two services. This means you can register a domain and host the website through same company. However, you can also register your domains and point them at any hosting company you want.